The ROA has linked up with SIS to provide easy access to the Owner Sponsorship scheme.
The scheme allows owners to register for and reclaim the VAT charged on the purchase price of their horse and training fees.
This can represent an annual recovery of over £4,000!
Should I be sponsored?
- Owners who secure sponsorship for their racing activities can register for VAT.
- Owners can reclaim VAT on the purchase price of their horse (if applicable) and this can be claimed up to four years after the purchase of the horse if owned 100%.
- Owners can also reclaim VAT on their racing expenses – including training fees, transport costs, veterinary fees and jockeys fees – backdated up to six months. This can represent an annual recovery of over £4,000!
If you are not already registered for VAT, just think of the savings that could be made!
For more help and advice on registering for VAT, please contact the BHA VAT Helpdesk on 01933 440077 or visit Weatherbys website for more information.
Alternatively, the Government website has further information for Racehorse Owners, which was updated in February 2016:
VAT Registration Scheme for Racehorses Owners
Does the ROA provide sponsorship?...
- The ROA runs the Satellite Information Services (SIS) Owner-Sponsorship Scheme.
- This will provide sponsorship for horses in training which are wholly owned by ROA members.
- In the case of a Racing Partnership, all Nominated Partners need to be ROA members in order for the horse to be eligible for the scheme.
- Where the horse is owned in a Joint Ownership, all owners need to be ROA Members.
- A sponsorship payment of £10 per horse is made to the Owner upon joining, with an additional £90 paid to the Owner at the end of the scheme provided the horse has run in Britain.
- Sponsored horses will need to carry a SIS logo on the chest and collar of the owners colours. There are no provisions for branding on attendants clothing or horse rugs.
Ways to apply for the scheme:
1. Download the SIS Owner-Sponsorship Agreement Form (above) and send it to the ROA office.
2. Download the form and scan it into an email and send it to email@example.com
3. Call the office on 020 7152 0200
4. Complete the form below:
For full terms and conditions and to find out how to maximise the benefits
of Owner Sponsorship, click here
If you have any questions on the SIS Owner-Sponsorship scheme please contact 020 7152 0200, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org