Third Party Liability Insurance
- All ROA members receive automatic third party liability insurance cover (up to a limit of liability of £10 million) against potential damages if their racehorse causes damage or injury. The typical value of a policy for just £5 million worth of cover would be £290 each year.
- The ROA introduced this scheme as owners are currently vulnerable to claims even when their horse is in someone else’s possession.
- Recent tragic accidents have left many owners concerned about the risks of a claim – potentially running into millions of pounds – being brought against them by a third party for which they have inadequate protection.
- The law may define a racehorse’s owner as any individual who has a financial interest in that horse, so all members of a racing partnership should be mindful of their potential exposure to that risk.
- The ROA members’ third party liability insurance scheme applies to horses in training, horses being prepared to go into training and horses temporarily out of training.
- Terms and conditions apply.
Please click here to view Frequently Asked Questions about the Scheme.
Justin Wadham Insurance Guidance
Full policy wording 2016
The importance of Third Party Liability Insurance
Information for Permit Holders
Please note that the ROA members' Third Party Liability Insurance Scheme does not provide primary cover, the type of which is required by both permit holders and licensed trainers.
Weatherbys Hamilton are offering Permit Trainers who are ROA members a discount of 20% on a primary policy. To get a quotation please contact Weatherbys Hamilton on 01933 440077 (Wellingborough), 01638 563444 (Newmarket) or 01793 847333 (Swindon) and state that you are an ROA member.
From the 1st February 2017, it will be a BHA requirement that all licensed trainers carry a minimum of £5million Public Liability insurance for their business activities.
Other ROA Insurance Benefits:
Weatherbys Hamilton LLP will provide members with compensation if a race meeting is abandoned after the first race has taken place
The ROA and Lycetts have partnered up to be able to provide members with the specially tailored Racehorse Owners' Compensation Scheme.
Take out a household insurance policy with Hiscox through Weatherbys Hamilton and you could have your ROA membership fee reimbursed