Owner Sponsorship Scheme
The ROA has run an owner sponsorship scheme since 2004. During that time over 60,000 horses have run in races under this scheme. The benefit is valued by members as it allows them to register for and reclaim the VAT charged on the purchase price of their horse and many associated fees. This can represent an annual recovery of over £4,000.
SIS withdrew sponsorship of the scheme in the summer of 2018, however, to ensure continuity for members the ROA fully funded all subsequent schemes until 31st December 2019. We are delighted that the scheme will continue from 1 January 2020 under the banner of the Tote and Britbet who are generously funding the scheme together.
Should I be sponsored?
- Owners who secure sponsorship for their racing activities can register for VAT.
- Owners can reclaim VAT on the purchase price of their horse (if applicable) and this can be claimed up to three years after the purchase of the horse if owned 100%.
- Owners can also reclaim VAT on their racing expenses – including training fees, transport costs, veterinary fees and jockeys fees – backdated up to six months. This can represent an annual recovery of over £4,000.
If you are not already registered for VAT, just think of the savings that could be made!
Does the ROA provide sponsorship?...
- The ROA runs the Tote / Britbet Owner-Sponsorship Scheme.
- This will provide sponsorship for horses in training which are wholly owned by ROA members.
- In the case of a Racing Club or Syndicate, then all club/syndicate managers need to be ROA members in order for the horse to be eligible for the scheme.
- Where the horse is owned in a Partnership, all owners need to be ROA Members.
- A sponsorship payment of £100 per horse is made to the owner once the particular scheme their horse is sponsored under has closed.
- Sponsored horses will need to carry a Tote logo on the chest and collar of the owner's colours. There are no provisions for branding on attendant's clothing or horse rugs.
How do I apply for the scheme?
Download the Owner-Sponsorship Agreement Form and send it to the ROA office either by post or email firstname.lastname@example.orgJanuary 2020 Sponsorship contract
- Call the office on 020 7152 0200
- Complete the form below:
If you have any questions on the Tote Owner-Sponsorship scheme please contact 020 7152 0200, or by e-mail to email@example.com
A stock of the new Tote logo has been sent to your trainer, but should you require a replacement set please contact Franklins Group on +44(0)2840622230 and pay the required fee (£11.99 + P&P).
Please note Franklins close for a half day on Friday afternoon and are closed at the weekend
The turnaround time from receipt of payment to despatch by Franklins Group is usually 1 week. Please allow time for postal delivery.
More information on what you can reclaim under the scheme
Links to Weatherbys VAT Services and online guides from the Government
Further information on general sponsorship
For more information on sponsorship, members should refer to the BHA Sponsorship Framework for Racehorse Owners (SFRO).
Full Terms and Conditions for the Tote/Britbet Owner Sponsorship Scheme:
- Horses must be registered in the Owners name and listed as in training with Weatherbys to qualify.
- Qualifying horses must carry the Tote logo on patches fixed to the chest and collar of the Owners’ silks each time they run in Britain during the Sponsorship Period with the exception of any named races excluded as detailed in the Racing Calendar. The logos conform to the size as detailed in the BHA Code of Conduct.
- Upon being accepted onto the scheme for the Sponsorship Period, the Owner will receive a non-refundable payment of £100 per horse (plus VAT if applicable) as the Sponsorship Fee payment.
The owner will pay for the production and fixing of the Tote logos to their silks. Logos can be obtained by contacting Franklins Group on +44(0)2840622230 and pay the required fee (£11.99 + P&P). Please note Franklins close for a half day on Friday afternoon and are closed at the weekend. The turnaround time from receipt of payment to despatch by Franklins Group is usually 1 week. Please allow time for postal delivery.
- A fee in accordance with Schedule (A)1 is due to the British Horseracing Authority Limited at the time of registration.
- The owner confirms that it has full title and authority to enter into this Agreement and is not bound by any previous agreement which adversely affects this Agreement.
- The sponsorship agreement must be signed by the owner or one of their representatives.
- Sole Owners of participating horses must be members of the ROA. In the case of a Racing Partnership, all owners need to be ROA members in order for the horse to be eligible for the scheme. Where the horse is owned in a Syndicate or Racing Club, all Syndicators or Club managers need to be ROA Members.
- For joint-owned horses, Sponsorship payments are made on the basis that the partners share the payment as per their share in the horse.
- Any change of ownership during the Sponsorship Period must be notified immediately to the ROA