Owner Sponsorship Scheme
The ROA has run an owner sponsorship scheme with SIS since 2012. During that time almost 43,000 horses have run in races with jockeys sporting the SIS branding. The scheme is valued by members as it allows them to register for and reclaim the VAT charged on the purchase price of their horse and many associated fees. This can represent an annual recovery of over £4,000.
SIS withdrew sponsorshp of the scheme in the summer of 2018, however to ensure continuity for members the ROA will be fully funding all subsequent schemes until a new sponsor is in place. The SIS logos will remain in use during this time but there has been no new deal with SIS and their logos will be replaced in due course.
Should I be sponsored?
- Owners who secure sponsorship for their racing activities can register for VAT.
- Owners can reclaim VAT on the purchase price of their horse (if applicable) and this can be claimed up to three years after the purchase of the horse if owned 100%.
- Owners can also reclaim VAT on their racing expenses – including training fees, transport costs, veterinary fees and jockeys fees – backdated up to six months. This can represent an annual recovery of over £4,000.
If you are not already registered for VAT, just think of the savings that could be made!
Does the ROA provide sponsorship?...
- The ROA runs the Satellite Information Services (SIS) Owner-Sponsorship Scheme.
- This will provide sponsorship for horses in training which are wholly owned by ROA members.
- In the case of a Racing Club or Syndicate, then all club/syndicate managers need to be ROA members in order for the horse to be eligible for the scheme.
- Where the horse is owned in a Partnership, all owners need to be ROA Members.
- A sponsorship payment of £10 per horse is made to the owner upon joining, with an additional £90 paid to the owner at the end of the scheme provided the horse has run in Britain.
- Sponsored horses will need to carry a SIS logo on the chest and collar of the owner's colours. There are no provisions for branding on attendants clothing or horse rugs.
How do I apply for the scheme?
Download the ROA / SIS Owner-Sponsorship Agreement Form and send it to the ROA office either by post or email firstname.lastname@example.orgSponsorship Application form (July 2019 scheme)
- Call the office on 020 7152 0200
- Complete the form below:
If you have any questions on the SIS Owner-Sponsorship scheme please contact 020 7152 0200, or by e-mail to email@example.com
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can post the logos directly to your horses trainer.
If you require the velcro patches to be attached to your silks, these can be added by Horse Racing Enterprises. Simply post your colours to the address below, making sure you enclose a return address:
Horse Racing Enterprises,
1 Haslemere Road,
There is a 72-hour turn around for the patches to be added, excluding postage time.
More information on what you can reclaim under the scheme
Links to Weatherbys VAT Services and online guides from the Government
Full Terms and Condtions for the SIS Owner Sponsorship Scheme:
- Horses must be registered in the Owners name and listed as in training with Weatherbys to qualify.
- Qualifying horses must carry the SIS logo on patches fixed to the chest and collar of the Owners’ silks each time they run in Britain during the Sponsorship Period with the exception of any named races excluded as detailed in the Racing Calendar. The logos conform to the size as detailed in the BHA Code of Conduct.
- Upon being accepted onto the scheme for the Sponsorship Period, the Owner will receive a non-refundable payment of £10 per horse (plus VAT if applicable) as the initial Sponsorship Fee payment.
- A further £90 per horse (plus VAT if applicable) will be paid at the end of the scheme as the second Sponsorship Fee payment, provided that the horse has raced at least once under rules in Britain during the Sponsorship Period.
- The Sponsor will pay for the production and fixing of the SIS logos to the silks by Horse Racing Enterprises.(Horse Racing Enterprises, 1 Haslemere Road, Southborne, Emsworth, Hampshire, PO10 8PL)
- The Owner agrees to forward their silks to Horse Racing Enterprises at the Owner’s expense (72-hr turnaround excluding postage time). Please make sure you include a return address.
- A fee in accordance with Schedule (A)1 is due to the British Horseracing Authority Limited at the time of registration.
- The owner confirms that it has full title and authority to enter into this Agreement and is not bound by any previous agreement which adversely affects this Agreement.
- The sponsorship agreement must be signed by the owner or one of their representatives.
- Sole Owners of participating horses must be members of the ROA. In the case of a Racing Partnership, all Nominated Partners need to be ROA members in order for the horse to be eligible for the scheme. Where the horse is owned in a Joint Ownership, all owners need to be ROA Members.
- For joint-owned horses, Sponsorship payments are made on the basis that the partners share the payment as per their share in the horse.
- Any change of ownership during the Sponsorship Period must be notified immediately to the ROA