Updated COVID-19 Guidelines and Operating Procedures
As confirmed earlier this week, the BHA is now able to share the revised COVID-19 Guidelines and Operating Procedures that will apply at race meetings in Great Britain from Monday 17 May and until further notice.
These measures apply to all racing industry participants, officials and racecourse staff attending race meetings. This includes Owners, who have until now been required to follow separate guidance.
The COVID-19 Guidelines and Operating Procedures can be found here, and should be read and understood by anyone likely to attend a raceday, prior to registering attendance at a fixture.
The document has been updated to reflect the easing of government COVID-19 restrictions, whilst still ensuring that racing’s participants – and particularly those working in higher-risk environments on raceday – continue to be protected.
The key measures that will be introduced from 17 May 2021 are as follows:
- Racecourses will continue to operate a zoning system on course, splitting the racecourse into two main infection control zones: ‘Green’ and Amber’
- The ‘Green Zone’ – where infection control measures are highest – will be reduced in size to include key indoor working areas, including the Weighing Room Complex
- Access to the Green Zone will be restricted to those working in these areas, such as jockeys, valets, officials and medics
- Existing infection control measures will remain in place in the Green Zone, including social distancing, entry screening and mandatory face coverings for those working in these areas.
- All other areas of the racecourse, including the Parade Ring and Racecourse Stables, will be in the Amber Zone
- Pre-raceday screening will be reduced for Amber Zone attendees, including trainers, stable staff and the media, but with social distancing remaining in place, as required by government
- Owners will be able to access the Parade Ring, but numbers entering the area will be restricted to comply with social distancing.
- Face coverings will still be mandatory in the Parade Ring, other close contact areas and indoors, but not elsewhere on course.
Please note that specific arrangements may vary to allow for differences in size and layout of racecourses.
To assist you with these changes, we have developed a Frequently Asked Questions document, which explains in more detail some of the more significant changes. This can be read here.
These requirements will continue to be reviewed regularly and, where possible, relaxed, in line with government guidance. In the meantime, thank you, as ever, for your patience, understanding and co-operation as we continue to operate under COVID-19 restrictions.